CLUB Mission STATEMENT
The primary mission of the Blitz Basketball Club is to promote and continue the development of young athletes as it relates to the fundamentals of basketball, sportsmanship, athletic competition, physical fitness and literacy. Our mission will be implemented in accordance with an athlete’s developmentally appropriate abilities and aspirations. We fully intend to increase participation and optimize performance of our athletes with the goal of developing the basketball players of today, into the community leaders of tomorrow.
The Blitz Basketball Club will provide both a competitive rep team program as well as a FUNdamental (“grass roots”) development program. All participants will experience and learn that quality, daily activity is part of a healthy lifestyle. The game of basketball will be promoted with an emphasis on a positive and cooperative environment that includes Fair Play, participation and fun! It is a game that can be played alone, with a friend or a group of friends.
1. Offer a program that focuses on skill development, team play, basketball education, and positive club activities. Provide team players with an opportunity to have fun.
2. To be financially sound, responsible and transparent, and provide affordable membership to all those who make a commitment to the club through an Annual General Meeting where all financials will be disclosed.
3. Promote member family involvement and connection to the club.
4. Provide coaching of the highest quality available and utilize other resources that enhance both player and coach development.
5. To follow all of the policies and procedures set forth by Ontario Basketball, including fair play, code of conduct and volunteer screening.
6. Be an example of class and quality, conducting ourselves in an honorable and sportsmanlike manner.
7. Be a positive force in the local area by seeking out opportunities for community involvement and service.
8. Be a respected member of the basketball community.
9. Through basketball and competition, all stakeholders have the opportunity and responsibility to instill valuable life lessons that will reach far beyond the basketball court.
10. To hold an Annual General Meeting, at the end of the basketball year, to discuss achievements, goals and financials with the membership.
As A PLAYER I WILL:
- Play by the rules and in the spirit of the game.
- Respect my coaches, opponents and officials.
- Do my best to be a true team player.
- Work hard not only in the games, but practice as well.
- Remember that winning isn't everything - having fun, improving skills, making friends and doing my best are just as important.
- Participate because I want to, not just because my parents or coaches want me to.
- Remember that coaches and officials are there to help me and to show them respect.
AS a parent I wILL:
- Remember that my child plays sport for his or her enjoyment, not for mine.
- Encourage my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts in a respectful manner.
- Teach my child that doing one's best is as important as winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game.
- Respect the volunteer coaches who give their time to provide sport activities for my child.
- Allow the coaches to coach and the players to play. This is a competitive basketball club and, as such, coaching decisions will be made by the coaches.
- Remember that children learn best by example. I will applaud good player's performances by both my child's team and their opponents.
- Make sure players attend practice and games.
- Volunteer to help and work with the club regarding fundraising, Blitz hosted tournaments and other volunteer opportunities.
- Be on my best behavior at all times with regards to players, coaches, referees, league administrators or volunteers.
as a coach I will:
- Ensure that all athletes get fair playing time, instruction, and support.
- Teach my athletes to play fairly and to respect the rules, officials and opponents.
- Make sure that equipment and facilities are safe and match the athletes' ages and abilities.
- Remember that children need a coach they can respect. I will be generous with praise and set a good example.
- Obtain a police check, proper basketball training and continue to upgrade my coaching skills and certification.
- Work in partnership with parents, players and club.
- Treat other coaches, players and officials with respect.
- Follow the policies and guidelines as set out by Ontario Basketball.